At the St. Paul Public Housing Agency (PHA) our mission is to help families and individuals with low incomes achieve greater stability and self-reliance by providing safe, affordable, quality housing and links to community services. We own and operate almost 4,300 public housing units and administer over 4,600 Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVs), providing safe, affordable, quality housing to over 21,000 people.
The U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) has recognized the PHA as a “High Performer” for 26 consecutive years in Public Housing and for 15 years in the HCV Program (both are rated under HUD’s assessment systems, “PHAS” and “SEMAP”).
I am proud to be the Executive Director of an organization that has received national recognition for its accomplishments. I am also very proud of our staff for their hard work and continued dedication to the PHA mission. The Agency’s Board of Commissioners sets the tone from the top, and we very much appreciate their support and guidance. Together we are helping thousands of St. Paul residents, every day.
We hope that you will find our website easy to navigate and full of useful information. On behalf of our Board of Commissioners and staff, I also want to thank our community stakeholders for supporting our efforts to preserve this vital affordable housing program.
About Jon Gutzmann
Looking back at 30 years ago.
In August 2017, Jon Gutzmann celebrates 30 years of service as Executive Director at the PHA. Below are some newspaper clippings highlighting accomplishments during Jon's early tenure at the PHA.
- Star Tribune Article June 27, 1987 (Minneapolis housing director to take same post in St. Paul)
- Pioneer Press Article June 27, 1987 (Public housing director hired)
- PHA's Emphasis Newsletter September 1987 (New City, New "Uniform", New Challenges - Gutzmann crosses the river to head St. Paul PHA)
- Jon Gutzmann's cover letter and resume March 1987
News article clippings about the PHA
- Star Tribune Article May 15, 1991 (Public Housing Agency honored as one of top in U.S.)
- Star Tribune Article December 9, 1991 (Senior citizen complex rises above the rest)
- Pioneer Press Article April 9, 1992 (Report hails St. Paul public housing success)
- Star Tribune clipping July 14, 1992 (Boys & Girls Club - Celebrating a 'Rainbow')
- PHA Community Gardening August 2, 1992 (Tending the Hmong tradition)
- Star Tribune Article April 30, 1994 (Police sweeps: Should wrongs take a right?)
- PHMAP score - number one ranking April 1996 (PHA Letter to Mayor Coleman and response letter from Mayor Coleman)
- Pioneer Press Article April 18, 1996 (Home Improvements - Roosevelt Homes)
- News article clipping (City housing agency gets good report card)
- Pioneer Press Article June 24, 1996 (Private homes get public praise)